Also, it's worth doubling or tripling the recipe.
They make great gifts!
6 Tablespoons sea salt
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1-2 dried chilies
Juice of 6 lemons
1) Sterilize a quart jar (boil water, let it sit for a min or 2 and let your jar dry).
2) cut lemons from the top in quarters, but don't slice all the way through- it'll look like a little lemon flower, still attached at the bottom.
3)Stuff a Tbsp. of salt into the lemon and jam it into the jar. Repeat with all the lemons, push them in, no need to be dainty.
4)Seal and leave on counter for a week.
5) After a week, open the jars and push the lemons down even further, much of the juice will already have been pulled out by the salt. Push down and get even more juice out.
6) Add the rosemary and chili, I also add peppercorns. Also add juice of 6 more lemons.
7)Cover with a thin layer of olive oil.
8)Seal and store in a cool dry place for at least four weeks.
Open and enjoy! A little goes a long way- great with Moroccan dishes and pretty much anything you want to add a savory, lemony zing to. I keep mine refrigerated once opened, not sure if it's necessary.
- this is from the Ottolenghi cookbook